1956 – 1957
• Brazil, Cabo Frio: O. Guarichi was walking on the beach with his dogs when he saw an object come from the sea and land. Two men, tall, wearing metallic-looking uniforms, emerged. One of them picked up objects from the beach. There was an exchange of gestures with the witness. One of the dogs turned away when the witness approached the craft, which was 20 m wide 3 m high and showed flashing lights as it left.
• Canada: A UFO captures a Royal Canadian Air Force F-100 fighter over Lake Huron.
• England, Suffolk: The RAF/USAF in Bentwaters / Lakenheath in made radar contact with a UFO using three ground-based radars. A confirmation on aerial radar by a Venom night fighter and visual sightings from the ground and the air make this case one of the most celebrated contacts of modern times. Radar indicated that objects were moving up at 4,000 miles per hour — higher speeds than any aircraft of the time could have achieved.
• France, Elboeuf : Near Exauroux, two brothers, 18 and 20, saw a red ball to their left coming down and hovering at tree height. It then left at fantastic speed. Three additional witnesses reported it independently. The object was a disk about 7. 5 m in diameter, with a red dome, and rotating fins under it. It emitted a yellow-orange glow.
• USA, California, Banning: An object hovered about 30 m above and 100 m away from the witness’s car. Showing something like a dome on top, it crossed the road slowly, turned, and crossed the road again behind the car, then vanished suddenly.
• USA, California, Panorama City: Three witnesses independently claimed that they observed a huge, ball-shaped object from which emerged three beings. They were nearly 2 m tall, had long, blond hair, and wore tight, green suits.
• USA, California, San Bernardino: 15-year-old Michael Savage, son of a surgeon, took a picture of a mysterious flying object that he said hovered near his house for 30 seconds. ; those photos, too, made the paper. Just as the phenomenon was beginning to die out, Hollywood added its own inimitable touch to the UFO craze.
• USA, Florida, Jacksonville: Two girls, Joan Frost and Gertie Wynn, while waiting for a bus, saw two pulsating lights flying horizontally and disappearing. 15 min later the lights were seen again, stopping at the zenith, merging, and diving to 50 m altitude. As the bus arrived, it seemed that the objects had separated and were about to abduct the witnesses, and they ran to the vehicle in terror.
• USA, Massachusetts, Pittsfield: At about 2 p.m. during October 1956, in Pittsfield, MA, the witness and a nephew were outside and saw an object in the sky that looked kind of like a cigar. (The witness brother) had been working for Convair and was also in the Naval Air Corps, and so (she) called him out and asked him if he had ever seen anything like it. He replied that he had not. The object was seen for quite a while. There was no detectable sound. It was quite a ways up and just sat there for awhile and then, all of a sudden, it was gone…(the) one object…moved away rapidly.
• USA, New York: Capt. Ryan and his first officer William Neff were flying from Albany to Syracuse. At a height of 6,000 feet, the two observed a brilliant white light like an approaching aircraft with landing lights on. Ryan estimated that the object was moving at approximately 1,000 miles per hour , faster than any object of the day. The UFO glowed orange in front of them. Ryan and Neff reported the encounter to Griffiss Air Force Base. The Base confirmed that they also could see an orange object nearby. This sighting lasted over twenty minutes and was also witnessed by the flight attendant, Phyllis Reynolds.
• USA, North Carolina, Henderson: On Route 1, just before dawn, two government employees saw for a few seconds a large, top-shaped object passing over their car. It was as large as the road and made no sound. .
• USA, Texas, McKinney: Two men saw a silvery, balloon-shaped craft about 2 m in diameter land in a field 100 m away from them, about 8 km east of McKinney. They stopped their car to investigate, but the object took off at fantastic speed.
1956 Project Blue Book Unknowns
• Canada Feb. 12, 1956; Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada. 11:25 p.m. Witnesses: F-89 pilot Bowen, radar observer Crawford. One green and red object rapidly circled the aircraft while being tracked on radar during 1 minute sighting. No further details.
• Guam Dec. 31, 1956; Guam. 2:10 a.m. Witness: USAF lst Lt. Ted Brunson, flying an F-86D jet interceptor. One round, white object flew under the F-86D, which was unable to turn as sharply as the object.
• USA, Arizona Aug. 8, 1956; 20 miles south of Quartsite, Arizona. ll p.m. Witnesses: attorneys W.B. Buttermore and J.W. Smith. One blue-white pulsating light flew fast, straight and level, for 5-7 minutes.
• USA, California June 6, 1956; Banning, California. 5:30 a.m. Witness: Mr. Bierman. One thin disc with a small dome, shimmering silver, hovered about 100 yards away for 8-10 seconds, then zoomed up.
• USA, Illinois Nov. 1, 1956; 60 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri, in Illinois. 5:30 p.m. Witness: USAF Capt. W..M. Lyons, Intelligence Division Chief (Aerial Weather Reconnaissance Officer), flying a T-33 jet trainer. One orange light with a blue tinge, flew across the sky for 2 minutes.
• USA, North Carolina Sept. 14, 1956; Highland, North Carolina. 1 a.m. Witness: Scaly, N. Car. policeman O.S. Gryman. Fourteen yellow-to-red round objects with tremendous exhaust, flew in a Vague formation from southwest to east to northeast and back again, while swoooping up and down. Sighting lasted 1.5 hours.
• USA, Pennsylvania Aug. 27, 1956; Juniata, Pennsylvania. 9:55 p.m. Witness: Mrs. R.S. Pope. One bright disc with a clear dome flew vertically, then north. A very cold breeze seemed to have been originated by the object during the 3 minute sighting.
• USA, South Carolina Nov. 30, 1956; Charleston AFB, South Carolina. 12:48 p.m. Witness: USAF aerial navigator Maj. D.D. Grimes. One unspecified object flew at an estimated 100’ altitude over water for 10 minutes. No further details.
• USA, Texas Sept. 4, 1956; Dallas, Texas. 9 p.m. Witnesses: U.S. Marine Corps T/Sgt. R.D. Rogers and family. One large star, changing to red color, remained stationary for 20 minutes, then went west at 200 kts. (230 m.p.h.). Sighting lasted 23 minutes.
• USA, Texas Feb, 19, 1956; Houston, Texas. 6:07 a.m. Witnesses: crew of Eastern Airlines Super Constellation. One intense white light, moving 4-5 times the speed of the airplane, was evaded by the pilot.
• USA, Texas April 4, 1956; McKinney, Texas. 3:15 p.m. Witnesses: Capt. Roy Hall, U.S. Army, ret.; Charles Anderson and others; some observed through a 6” telescope, others through a 55-200x telescope. One fat, oblong object with two lines around its middle, remained stationary for 6 hours.
• Henry Carlock, a physicist observing sky with telescope; twice glimpsed UFO with halo around it and what appeared to be three portholes on June 18.
• Argentina, Pajas Blancas Airport: When his motorcycle suddenly failed, the driver observed a disk, 20 m in diameter and 5 m thick, hovering about 15 m above ground. He hid in a ditch and saw the craft come down, making a sound similar to air escaping from a valve. A sort of lift descended from its base almost to the ground. In it was a man of average height, who made friendly gestures to the witness. He was dressed in a plastic diving suit. The witness entered the machine and saw inside several people seated before instrument panels, lighted by an extraordinary light. He was then escorted out, and the disk rose to the northwest. During the next hour, six sightings were made along the same course by independent witnesses.
• Argentina, Quilino: An Air Force man inside a tent heard a loud, shrill sound and saw a disk that came down as grass and plants fluttered wildly under it. He found himself unable to draw his gun, which “seemed to be glued in its holster. ” A voice came from the craft, telling him in Spanish that UFO’s had a base in the Salta area and would soon show themselves to warn all people about the dangers of a nuclear catastrophe.
• Australia, Smithfield: Les McDonald, 17, and Gladys Smith, 14, saw a red light changing to green, spreading around them like a mist and covering an area about 100 m diameter. They became nearly paralyzed and “felt a warm glow. ” They had no fear, but were “merely cognizant of things as they were without being able to react. ” This sensation lasted two min.
• Brazil: Antonio Villas Boas was a Brazilian farmer. On October 16, 1957, at age 23, Villas Boas had an experience that may have been one of the first modern day abduction claims. Villas Boas claimed that at about 1:00 a.m., he was out operating a tractor on the family farm when he spotted a bright light in the sky, which he had also noticed on a previous night. This time the object descended and as it neared the ground, three telescopic legs outstretched and it landed. His tractor died and he became scared and decided to run on foot. Three beings who then took him into their craft.
• Brazil, Bage City: A blinding object, red and yellow, twice landed first near the Jockey Club, then near the Rural Exhibition.
• Brazil, Campinas: A man suddenly fell, as if paralyzed, and his two companions then observed an object -shaped like a disk with a dome on top and another dome under it, 50 m away. A door opened and three men, 1. 70 m tall, wearing close-fitting, iridescent clothing, and who walked as if on skis, appeared to make a check of the craft and the surroundings. They gathered samples in a large box. The witnesses saw small portholes and a tripod landing gear. The craft took off after 20 min.
• Brazil, Francisco de Sales: Antonio Villas-Boas who could not sleep because of the heat, opened the shutters of his house and saw a silvery glow in the yard, but no flying object. The light moved and was seen going over the house.
• Brazil, Francisco de Sales: Second observation by A. Villas-Boas. He was plowing a field with his brother when they saw a red light at the edge of the field. He went toward it, but it shifted its position every time he went close. It vanished on the spot.
• Brazil, Francisco de Sales: Third observation by A. Villas-Boas. Alone in the fields on a clear night, he saw a big, red star which took the appearance of a luminous, egg-shaped object and stopped 50 m above his tractor. Its light was brighter than that of the headlights as it landed 15 m away. The top part was spinning. It became green as it slowed down, was then seen as a flattened dome. Three legs emerged from the machine as it settled down. The tractor engine stalled, and the witness was seized by unknown individuals and carried aboard the craft, where he was medically examined, then left with a woman of short stature with whom he had sexual intercourse. Villas-Boas reported that crew members wore tight, white clothes with a light on the belt, heelless white shoes, big gloves, and opaque helmets with a slit at the level of the eyes. Their language was shrill, and he could establish no verbal communication with them.
• Brazil, Maracaja: Farmers Joao Ernani and Pedro Zilli heard a strange humming sound, then saw two aluminium-colored disks 200 m away. Near them were six men of average height, slim build, dressed in “dark gray suits glued to their bodies. ” The disks were about 3. 5 m wide, hovering 1 m above ground. They rose with a sharp whistling sound, while coconut trees below them bent double. Three more disks rose from behind the trees, and all five flew toward the Atlantic.
• Brazil, Niquelandia: At the Gabiroba farm, owners A. Santinoni and S. de Oliveira were blinded by beam from a round object at ground level. The light was green and yellow. When they came near, all went dark and the object vanished.
• Brazil, Petropolis: A girl suffering from cancer appeared about to die when the house was suddenly illuminated by a strong light, as if a searchlight had been aimed at the room. It came from an object whose top part was reddish yellow. Two figures emerged from it and entered the house. They were about 1. 20 m tall, had long yellow-red hair, small green, slanted eyes, and wore white gloves and glowing white clothes. Before the astounded witnesses (the author of the report and the family of the girl), they used a device producing a bluish-white light and another instrument, in what appeared to be radiation treatment of the patient. After 30 min they went away, leaving her completely cured. The report was anonymous.
• Brazil, Ponta Poran: Mrs. Mendonca and five other persons saw a light in the south, which later appeared as two spherical objects coming closer to the witnesses on an oscillating course. One of them hovered close to the car while the other circled. They were -shaped like a sphere surrounded by a flat ring, and chased the car for two hours over the deserted road. Estimated diameter: 5 m.
• Brazil, Quebracoco: Naval officer Miguel Espanhol and another man, travelling to Ceres, saw a bright object that illuminated the countryside and came down to ground level as the truck stalled. It was oval or saucer-shaped, over 150 m in diameter and 40 m deep, with a dome supporting a long “aerial” with a red light on top. The bright light went off and the witnesses saw seven childlike beings, with long hair and luminous suits, who looked down at them for about 3 min. The craft flew south and released a smaller disk, which flew north.
• Brazil, Sao Sebastiao: Mr. Joao Guimaraes, who is a professor at the Catholic Faculty of Law in Santos, was sitting near the shore when he saw a hat-shaped, luminous craft approach from the sea and land near him. From it came a metallic stairway. Two normal men with long, fair hair hanging to their shoulders, a youthful appearance and wearing one-piece suits, came down, gave no verbal answers to his questions, but invited him “telepathically” to come aboard the craft. Inside the illuminated compartment, he sat on a circular seat with the crew. The machine rose for a short flight. On his return, Guimaraes found that his watch no longer worked.
|45,000 BC – 9 BC||60 AD – 927 AD||1015 – 1492||1517 -1749|
|1751 – 1847||1860 – 1881||1882 – 1896||1897 – 1899|
|1902 – 1909||1910 – 1919||1920 – 1941||1942 – 1946|
|1947||1948 – 1949||1950||1951|
|1956 – 1957||1958||1959||1960|
|1965||1966||1967||1968 – 1975|